Privacy
Skip to main content
Taboola above article placeholder

Andy Burnham breaks silence after 'exchanging messages' with 'fake Trump official'

The Prime Minister reportedly believed he was speaking to the White House Chief of Staff.

9 Comments
By Catherine Mackinlay, News Reporter

Burnham not embarrassed by texts with Trump staff impersonator

Andy Burnham has insisted he is not embarrassed about his exchange of messages with someone pretending to be Donald Trump’s White House Chief of Staff, adding: "I handled it in the right way." The Prime Minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be top White House aide Susie Wiles, but he became suspicious after several messages, and reported the incident.

Asked by broadcasters if he was embarrassed by the contact, the Mr Burnham said: "No, I’m not, because there was a minimal exchange, nothing of consequence, and actually, quickly I realised that this needed to be reported, and I did so." Speaking from Wolverhampton bus station, Mr Burnham added: "So I handled it in the right way. All politicians are receiving these pressures and these challenges, but I did everything right. There was a minimal exchange of information of zero consequence, and it was quickly reported."

Andy Burnham Arrives For LBC's Andrew Marr Show

Andy Burnham has spoken out following the embarrassing blunder (Image: Getty)

Asked what action had been taken to find out who had impersonated the White House chief of staff, Mr Burnham replied: "The correct action has been taken here and in the US."

Reports of the exchange of messages first emerged on Monday in the news outlet Politico.

The British embassy in Washington was so concerned it raised the matter with the White House, two officials who spoke to the media organisation said.

Ms Wiles phone had previously been hacked, according to reports from America, but a US official told Politico that the incident involving Mr Burnham was not related to this.

Last year, The Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI had launched an investigation into efforts to access Ms Wiles’ phone after an unknown person contacted prominent Republicans and business chiefs while pretending to be her.

Mr Trump later appeared not to be aware of the incident, telling reporters at the White House about Mr Burnham: "I’m sure that he had a miscommunication."

9 Comments

Conversation

|
Commenting is subject to our house rules.

All Comments

    1. Comment by reargunner.

      Probably the Trump administration asking Burnham when he starts being a priminister.

      • Comment by stopmuckinabout.

        Was it somebody else's fault as usual with Labour?

        • Comment by Waldo.

          What should be more concerning for everyone is how a bad actor got her details in the first place! That's a massive red flag. We know Iran has got a massive for the Trumpski admin right now, so they need to double down on security and so does anyone sending comms to America because it looks like their pizzing data all over the internet....

          • Reply by Waldo.

            *they're*

        • Comment by lawnrazer.

          Of course we believe you Burnham, nudge nudge wink wink

          • Comment by upturn4171.

            Just wait until the real transcript comes out, we'll all know what was said!

            ×